Kumbuso Joshua Nyoni
Kumbuso is an experienced, dedicated, and passionate Engineer with a demonstrated history of working in the mining and utilities industry. He possesses a wide range of skills, including expertise in Power System Protection & Control, Instrumentation and Process Control, Power System Studies & Planning, Electrical Operation and Maintenance, Sustainability Processes, Project Management, and Risk Assessment. He obtained a Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the University of Zambia and holds a MSc in Sustainable Engineering: Renewable Energy Systems and the Environment from the University of Strathclyde in the UK. Additionally, he is a RENAC certified Energy Transformation Expert and is currently pursuing a second MSc in Carbon Management from the University of Edinburgh. Kumbuso is a registered Engineer and is currently a paid professional member of prestigious organizations such as the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Engineering Institution of Zambia, and the Zambia Renewable Energy Agency. Kumbuso is also the founding member of the Zambian Electric Mobility Innovation Alliance (ZEMIA).
Kumbuso's key competencies include:
- Climate action and environmental sustainability.
- Project development of off-grid and grid-connected solar photovoltaics (rooftop, floating & ground mounted).
- Design and project development, as well as optimal placement, of wind turbines.
- Design and project development of concentrated solar power.
- Design of renewable energy-based mini/micro grids with innovative business models based on PUE & WEF nexus.
- World Bank certified geospatial least cost electrification assessment.
- Grid integration studies of variable renewable energy sources.
- Design of solar pumping systems.
- Proficient in data science, particularly in Python and machine learning, with applications in energy management and system optimization.
- Extensive knowledge of renewable energy project development phases, including technical, commercial (demand, business and financial modeling), and legal aspects (investment risks, power purchase agreements, lease agreements, EPC contracts, O&M contracts, financing agreements, regulatory issues, and insurance requirements).
- Experience in substation commissioning and protection system audit.
- General energy audits and consultancy on sustainable engineering topics.
- IEA certified Energy data analysis and modeling.
- Energy efficiency audits and project development.
- Expertise in sustainable energy modeling leading to data-driven policy insights.
- Proficient in clean cooking ecosystem linkages (modeling, carbon financing, transition pathways, and strategic action plans).
- Conducts electric mobility research, market analysis, and feasibility studies.
- Specializes in sustainable hydrogen economy research, market analysis, and feasibility studies.
With his diverse skill set and extensive experience, Kumbuso is poised to contribute significantly to the field of engineering and sustainable energy solutions.